Demolition began in October 2017 and many key milestones have been made, including the works site of the old Mill Hill Hotel entering the early works phase of construction, consisting of demolition and shoring of the site along with completing the excavation of the basement. This phase of works is being completed by contractor MOITS who now has possession of the site. These early works are being completed to allow the main construction contractor to begin building works in mid-2018.
The site and area surrounding the NewLife Bondi Junction project hold some interesting historical significance. The area now known as Bondi Junction was settled in the 1820s. Merchant Barnett Levey arrived in Australian in 1821, following his brother, an emancipated convict. Levey subsequently built cottages in Waverley Crescent in 1830 and was granted land to the south of South Head Road in 1832, where he constructed a flourmill and the area became known as ‘Mill Hill’.
We look forward to providing further updates on this project.